Thursday, January 7, 2010

Little more about 57 smokehouse origins

I just wanted to start the night by thanking the members of the Smoke Ring for showing interest in our blog. I have not posted on the BBQ Brethern as of yet but would hope they would check it out also.
One of the most asked questions I get is where the name 57 Smokehouse came from? People want to know if we use 57 in our sauces or rubs or even marinades and the answer is NO... The name comes from my obsession of the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Aire. Any excuse to use the image is good enough for me. My wife also loves vintage automobiles as well as a huge Elvis buff and loves anything 50's who can blame her. So I get to combine 3 loves of mine into one thing- my wife,BBQ,57 chevys- what a combo. Our team logo will of course be 50's themed and we have a great design idea. We have a friend that will design it for us when he can take time away from his tattoo shop.

This of course leads me to area I don't like to discuss. Do you have to go big to be successful in BBQ competetions? I would love to have a big dual axle enclosed trailer with the kitchen built in with a Jambo rig out side and 5 Big Green Eggs. A big Ford F350 to pull everything and be able to afford to cook every weekend. NOT GONNA HAPPEN ANYTIME SOON FOLKS.... This is where the voice of reason(AMBER) has to remind me of one thing. Remember we have judged 5 contest with the GBA and I couldn't tell you what kinda rig,egg,keg,wsm,barrel,or $25 Wal-mart smoker it was cooked on. I can tell you it is some of the best food I have ever put in my mouth. So of course she is right but the male ego needs to be stroked sometimes...right I mean really you don't want to show up with an ugly date to the prom right. That's enough for tonight. See ya tomorrow
Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment